The two biggest projects so far this fall have been a drainage project on #16 fairway and a new tee box for #11.
The drainage on #16 involves the landing area about 240 yards from the green on this long par 5. For the last several years, we have not been able to mow this part of the fairway until June or July. This year, it never really dried up. It had been on my list of things to do when we got a chance, but the wet weather this year moved it up the list.
This is the transit that we used to make sure the drainage would drain properly.
A picture of the pipe in the ground before we hooked it together and filled it in with pea stone.
Another view before pea stone was added.
Laying the pipe on the pea stone and filling in the trench.
Cutting the pipe to length.
This is how the area looks today, over a month later. The trench was seeded with bentgrass. I think you will be able to tell where the trench was for years to come, but it has dried the area up noticeably.
The second project was to add a new championship tee to #11. This par 5 was often the easiest hole during the tournaments, with numerous birdies and even eagles recorded. This tee box will add 22 yards onto the hole from the current black tee markers. Overall length could go up to 504 yards.
This is where the tee is going to be. Notice the aerification plugs on the tee.
After removing some trees and starting the project with our front-end loader.
I decided a bulldozer would make the work go easier. Luckily, the city has it's own little 'dozer.
Here, the tee has been leveled and tee mix (80% sand, 20% soil) has been put on top.
We laid bluegrass sod around the perimeter and seeded the actual tee with bentgrass.
The view from the back, right corner.
Ten days later, the bentgrass has started to grow. (The blue pellets are mulch that we put down to help with moisture retention.)
A close-up of the seedlings and mulch.
The tee should be open for use by May. Good luck!